Friday 17 October 2014

Chocolate in Print




Since I heard about National Chocolate week the thought has barely left me.  Well, this and the recent news of the usable chocolate tea pot has lead me to think about what can be done with this delicious medium, then it hit me – can we print with chocolate?

Anyone who knows me; will know that I have a total fascination with 3D printing; frankly the subject blows my mind.

So, several internet searches later and there it is, I’m excited to say that, yes, it can be done, and the technology is being worked on as I’m writing!

Here is a YouTube clip of the magic at work, this is a clip of the world’s first chocolate printer, but the technology has moved on since then.  I’ve recently read about an Australian company called ChocaByte has reported to have produced a limited run of 500 affordable chocolate3D printers before it is looking at mass production.  Also, the American chocolate giants Hershey’s are currently working together with 3D Systems looking into the development of this technology.

Now, here’s a thought for you, I’m certain that 3D chocolate printing will become an everyday thing.  Imagine how you would use it – would it be to create the perfect, personalised gift for a loved one or as quirky way to promote a business, what about your company logo make out of chocolate to hand out at a trade show.  The possibilities are utterly endless, which is why I think I’m so drawn to this subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment